Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Would you look at that....

So, Saturday I had a party to go to. A close family friend was throwing a party for her daughter who turned 29. She just loves frogs and elephants. My mom told me she said that I would make a cake if Kathy, the friend wanted. So, I jumped at the chance, and just hoped I could make a pretty cool cake.

I looked all over the net for ideas and possible tutorials. For many, I would need a shaped cake pan, which by the time I decided to do the frog theme, it was too late and I didn't have the money for it anyways. And I would have had to get it online, which I waited til Friday to let my mom know what I needed to make it.

I found one that sounds great and pretty easy. I ended up making it my own kind of. I just got two white cake mixes and store bought buttercream icing. The tutorial said I needed a 8in square cake, and 9in round one and two cupcakes. As I said before, I waited to long. I realized I only had one thing, the cupcake pan. I ended up using a rectangle pan instead of square. And also used my springform pan for the round one. Which was a great idea.

So pretty much just bake the mixes as stated, or if by scratch do that. Make sure to make the 3 size cakes you need.
I put it in the fridge for the night, because lately, I can't just get rid of these fruit flies. They are few now though luckily.
I frosted it the next morning, just took and frosted the top of the cupcakes in white, then mixed up most of what was left and made that a limeish green, which I later used for spots.
I used what I had left from that and the other can to make a darker green. Then I frosted it, and it actually turned out nice and smooth, better than any other time I have ever done so.

Then I just used M&Ms, KISS ones at that, to make the eyes and mouth.



ETA: I realized that I never actually explained how to go about doing the cake. Once the cakes have cooled, you will want to take the square/rectangle one and cut it to make the legs and feet. You can see that the one foot looks a bit bigger, I cut that one too close and it came apart when I moved it. So, I had to try and get it in there just right. Which didn't go the greatest.
After cutting the legs/feet, you pretty much just frost the pieces and put them together. I frosted the cupcakes first, then the body, then the legs.

That is pretty much it.

giveaways  

1 comment:

  1. Hi! You've got a great blog here and I love this idea. I host a toddler link up party every tuesday called Tot Tuesdays. Would love it if you'd stop by and link up this idea along with the many other great ideas you have for toddlers. Have a great day!
    http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/

    ReplyDelete